domingo, 27 de enero de 2008

FruitBowl 2008: Heavy Metal Rampage


As promised, here is the story of my weekend frisbee tournament. I decided to go to the tournament even though Mt. A didn't send a team - there wasn't enough interest to send a full roster. I ended up subbing for the St. John team, temporarily named "Heavy Metal Rampage".

I hitched a ride with a team traveling from Halifax, and arrived at the field house 10 minutes before our first game. I arrived just in time; the team had only two female players and needed a third to be able to play. (A team fields 7 players: 4 men and three women). I played my first game with no subs - a good initiation into a tough tournament.

Following the game I went with a teammate to his friend's house, where I stayed for the weekend. As we were walking to the front door of the house, my teammate turned around and asked,
"Oh, are you allergic to cats?"
"Yes."
"That's not good."
"No."
It turns out they had three cats -- all of them furry, and one of them fat. With the help of Benedryl I made it through two nights without any problems - surprising given that I have been allergic to my Sackville apartment since arriving in January.

Once inside, the teammate's friend's girlfriend (less complicated than it sounds) greeted us holding a what looked like a paint can with the word "sex" printed accross the label. This all seemed normal to my teammate, so I didn't comment. Later in the evening she asked,
"Oh, do you know what I do?"
"No."
"I host fantasia parties."

It turns out that she is making a name for herself as the top fantasia party hoster and organizer in New Brunswick. She has recruited several other party hostesses, and just earned a trip to the Dominican Republic for her achievements within the hosting company. The penis magnet on the fridge suddenly made much more sense.

We didn't win the tournament, in fact, we didn't come close. But it was fun and I was glad I made the commitment to go.

We played the tournament in the Nashwaaksis field house - an indoor sports complex used by the local middle school and surrounding community. The middle school has decorated the far wall with a row of large paintings - each depicting a 'sport'. Some of the paintings are worth a second look, notably the ones I have included in this entry. At the end of the long row is a painting of the Starship Enterprise. I can just picture the small, nerdy kid who decided that he didn't have a favourite sport, he liked Star Trek, and so was going to paint Star Trek no matter what his art teacher said. And then the teacher had to put the painting up on the wall, and tried to hide it by sticking it at the end.

The sports of bungee jumping, exotic dancing and parachuting


No hay comentarios: