viernes, 11 de enero de 2008

Back in Bagtown: The introduction


After spending four months studying in Mexico, I am back in Sackville and ready for one more semester. The adjustment has been fairly easy, even though many of my friends graduated last May. I have a few close friends who are still in town to finish up a two-programme degree (e.g. Psych and Chemistry) and others who are back to do an honours thesis. I am back because in my third year dropped down to part-time status (two courses per semester) to focus on editing the student newspaper.

SackvilleXalapa, Mexico
coldwarm warm warm
Sally-Ann fashion statementshigh heels, collared shirts and lots of hair gel
alone time, friend time, and very little family timea social, family-based culture; being alone is a bit strange
class start on time, essays are due on timeclasses start up to 30 minutes late, essays are flexible
a lot of people would rather be in Mexicoa lot of people would rather be in Canada

With one semester to go, a lot of the academic and social pressures have lifted; I am quite comfortable in Sackville, and know how to hold my own. Slowly descending instead are the pressures of post-graduation plans.

This blog is a part of Mount Allison's student blogs programme, and I will update weekly with whatever is new and exciting.

On another note, I googled "back in bagtown" and found the blog of a US soldier who used the phrase to refer to his return to Baghdad.


No hay comentarios: