domingo, 3 de febrero de 2008

Curl for Cancer 2008



The Sackville Curling Club hosts an annual "Curl for Cancer" as a fundraiser for the Canadian Cancer Society. It is an all-day event featuring recreational games between teams of all ages and varieties.

I have never participated, but this year I stopped in to watch a few friends play a game. It was a great atmosphere - local songwriter R.A. Lautenschlager was playing his folk music, small children were running around eating cookies, and spectators were enjoying cups of coffee and beer. As I walked into the lounge area, I saw a team dressed like 1960s hippies come off the ice.

My friends soon went onto the ice in a game against "team Canada". This team had dressed in Canada paraphernalia (maple leaf scarves, hats, and lots of red and white), and apparently sang the national anthem before their first game.

As I sat spectating, I realized the "Canadianess" of the entire experience. Between "ends", I ran to the library to find a Mexican exchange student who attends the same school where I did my exchange last semester. She had never seen the sport before, and I struggled to explain the game - which I only loosely understand - without knowing the Spanish verb for "curl".



No hay comentarios: