lunes, 3 de marzo de 2008

The afterlife



Reading week is over. This has set off a spark in my mind about life after graduation - which comes with the expected mix of excitement, intimidation and uncertainty.

After seeing many of my friends' graduate last year, I am looking forward to my turn. The ceremony is a bit stiff; students process into Convocation Hall to a standing audience of emotional friends and family, the alma mater song is sung at the podium with the organ, numerous speeches ensue, and then we all walk across the stage to receive our hoods (on loan) and diplomas (to keep). Since Mt. A is such a small school, there are only two ceremonies: one for arts and one for sciences.


And then?

This is where my mind really gets going. I have applied to a few internships with policy institutes, but there are so many other possibilities. What about an internship with the United Nations? The Organization of American States?

After a class on the Alberta tar sands, I started to wonder why I had focused on non-Canadian issues and organizations. The tar sands have huge, even global, consequences - including in the field of migration, topic that has recently piqued my interest.

I could even start up my own organization - Mt. A grads Margaret Leighton and Dru Oja Jay did just that, and have been successful.

Or I could move home, find a steady job, and become a 'real person' for a while. I am a bit tired of uprooting myself from place to place. It would be a break with a warm bed, some home cooked meals, a steady salary and no rent.

And then?

Law school, grad school, etc.

And then?


Photos courtesy of Frances Ross, who has marvelous post-grad plans teaching in Nunavut.



2 comentarios:

Mary Blake dijo...

Good luck with anything you end up doing after graduation. More power to you.

Unknown dijo...

¡Hola Emily!

I was really happy to get a chance to meet you during my visit this week.

It´s hard to get a clear impression of Mt. A from just one day´s visit, but getting a chance to hear about your personal experience and to chat with you a bit was both helpful and inspiring.

Thank you!! :D

Matt (from Thursday's tour)